Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Keep Up Communication



"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, here I am, it’s late, and I find myself unable to sleep. The topic of long-distance relationships is circling through my head, and I feel compelled to spill a few words about what’s on my mind. The main word that is taping on the inner portion of my skull is communication, since those that find themselves in long-distance relationships require this skill among most others. The thing is, is that most of the time, communication can be relatively straightforward. For example, discussions about your daily lives, talk about when you are going to see each other again, and your plans for the future, will often make up the majority of talk time. The problem is that on some occasions, discussions can move away from the straightforward, and can turn into an awkward and challenging mess. This will arise for a number of reasons, such as a stressful day for one or both parties, an inappropriately placed comment, an uncomfortable topic, etc. Usually among non-long-distance relationships, these types of situations can be circumvented with comfort and space, and a few minutes apart may be all that is needed to rectify the situation. However, among long-distance relationships, these less straightforward situations can be one of the major causes of anger, discomfort, stress, and the like. What must be remembered is that these situations can be the same for both long-distance and non-long-distance relationships; however, for long-distance relationshipers, an immense amount of patience is required. The key is not to overreact (I am sorry that I sometimes do this, I promise that I am working on it!) and/or let the situation swell, but to keep a level head and remain calm. You must not lose sight of the fact that you both love each other and are completely committed to one another. Importantly, remember that tomorrow always brings another chance to do it right.  

I’ve never been perfect with relationships, and that goes double for the long-distance form. However, I’ve also never wanted a relationship to work out like I this relationship to work out. I know that some days I can be difficult, but I need you to know that am really trying to learn from my mistakes. Most importantly, I will never stop striving to be the best that I can for us and you. Unfortunately, this takes time, and I appreciate your patience with me. Never fear talking with me about anything, I promise that you will always have an understanding ear. Lastly, when you wake and read this, know that I am thinking about you, that I want nothing more than to give you a hug and a kiss, and that I want to start today as brilliant as we started yesterday.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment