Sunday, January 15, 2012

Noni on My Mind

In 1930 Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell composed the song "Georgia on My Mind." While the lyrics to the song were originally written by Gorrell for Carmichael's sister Georgia, the song eventually became Georgia's state song in 1979. The transcendence in meaning from sister to state highlights the beauty of music, and all forms of art for that matter. 

It's in a similar vain that I am writing today. I recently bought Noni Michael Buble's CD "Crazy Love," which she had already received for Christmas from a friend. In the end, I retained the CD, and have found myself listening to it from time to time. Being a fan of anyone that can croon (e.g., Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Robert Goulet (?), Will Ferrell (?), etc.), I'd say that I in general like Mr. Buble. It wasn't however until I saw my play count of the songs in my iTunes application that I realized that his version of "Georgia on My Mind" was the song that I listened to above all others. I immediately realized the reason that I am so taken by the song and it's simplistically beautiful lyrics. It's because I always daydream of Noni when that song is calling out, and that in fact this "old sweet song keeps" Noni on my mind.  As I am thousands of kilometers from her, it is important that I (we) can keep her (each other) on my (our) mind (s).

I have added the short series of lyrics to this enchanting song below. Just as I change the name in this song to Noni every time Georgia is sung, try changing the lyrics to the name of your beloved. You'll find that just as the song can be sung for a sister and a state, it can also be sung to remind you of the love that you have for another.  The power of music, bringing them (kamu) here when they (kamu) are not, is a magical power that I never want to lose grasp of.

Sayang, katika kamu dengar lagu ini, ingat saya juga di tempat lain sedang dengar lagu ini dan pikir kamu trus. Jangan lupa, mungkin aku disini, tapi kamu selalu dengan aku.

As Hoagy and Stuart so ingeniously ended their song, I wish to end this...It'll always be Noni.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Georgia on My Mind - Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell

Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through  
Just an old sweet song keeps that Georgia on my mind, on my mind

I said Georgia, Georgia, a song of you  
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me, other eyes smile tenderly  
Still in peaceful dreams I see the road leads back to you

Oh, I Georgia, Georgia, no peace 
I find Just an old sweet song, old sweet song, Georgia on my mind  
Oh, just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind

It'll always be Georgia

0 comments:

Post a Comment