Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Windy City Christmas

I arrived in Indonesia in February 2009, right after spending Christmas and New Year’s Eve near Chicago. So, I’ve now missed two Christmases in the Windy City. After receiving word that the first snows had recently fallen from my family, it got me thinking, missing the holiday season that I grew up with. Don’t get me wrong, I have been blessed to spend two holidays with Noni and her family/friends in Surabaya, but no matter how much they make me feel at home, there are still a few things missing. I guess by way of reminiscing, I’d like to quickly describe those things that are rumbling through my memories.

I miss the cold snowy weather. Despite the fact that I always wish for warm weather while in the moment, the holidays are not holidays without having to bundle up to head outside. I miss the crisp fresh air of a winter morning, and having to head outside and brush the snow off my car, before going anywhere. I miss sleeping with layers of blankets. I miss that a warm cup of coffee does not make me overheat, but instead provides me some sort of shelter from the cold that is constantly penetrating my clothes. I miss the sight of snow, and how it transforms the landscape into an elaborately detailed photograph.

I also miss the usuals. I miss the general holiday mood of the people in the area. I miss the way that you feel traveling from one place to another. The almost transcendent holiday connection between strangers, merely because it’s the holiday season.   

I also miss the constants, the large Christmas tree that my parents get, which we spend days decorating with ornaments. I miss seeing all the gifts piled under the tree, waiting to be opened. I miss the Christmas lights at our house, and the surrounding houses, that tell of the festivities yet to come. I miss hearing familiar songs, which have a way of brightening up my world, if only for a few minutes. I miss the company of my family and friends, and all the joy that comes along with that. 

So, while everyone in Indonesia would freak out. If you are reading this and able, send some white stuff my way.






0 comments:

Post a Comment