Friday, January 13, 2012

September 2011: Danau Toba


I had received a text, it wasn't just out of the blue, but the question took me by surprise. "Do you want to meet me at Danau Toba?" I had already changed my plans to head back to the forest, as I was waiting to receive comments on a publication that I was (and still am) working on. I desperately wanted to meet her again, but I wasn't sure how things were going to go. In the end I decided to go. My plan was simple and lacked elegance: I was going to tell her that I was wrong, and most importantly, I was going to try to get her back. Still, I had no idea if she had already moved on, if she still thought about me, or how she was going to react to what I had to tell her.

The whole way there I was filled with nervous anticipation about seeing her again. And then came that oh shit moment as I approached Parapat, what the hell am I going to do when I first see her, and more importantly what the hell am I going to say. She came around the corner with her Bintang shirt, green shorts, long black hair, and a perfect white smile. All I could do was give her a hug. I realized right then and there that I had to have her back in my life, and that I would do anything to make her believe in us again.

First night we agreed to meet some friends, to watch a traditional Batak dance. The evening was amazing, I was happier than I had been in ages, and it was all because of her. I can't describe the comfort that I feel when she is near, but I will say that she has the ability to block out all my worries and make the craziness of the world stand still. On the way back to Romlan, we were walking hand in hand, and we just stopped. I'll never forget that moment, high above the waters of Lake Toba. You let me in again, and I haven't looked back since.
 


The days that proceeded were amazing. One day in particular, the day that we rented the motorcycle, was quite possibly one of the best days that I have ever spent. It wasn't glamorous, but having her near me on the bike while we drove around Samosir made everything feel right. It was like my puzzle had been missing a piece, and she fit perfectly in that place.  

We left Lake Toba with the possibility of something new; however, both were still unsure of where this was going. I knew that if we were going to make this work, I was going to have to make her believe in me again. I was going to have to let her know that I was serious about us, and that I was not going to run again.

Upon leaving, we agreed to try to meet again at the beginning of November 2011. We planned on coming back to Lake Toba for a few more days.


I am not sure what heaven is like, but that first week back with Noni at Lake Toba has to be damn close to it.

In closing, I need to thank you again Noni. Thank you for giving me a chance. Thank you for making a blind man see. Thank you for putting a smile on my face. Thank you for opening up my heart to the possibility of us. Thank you for being you. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment